Fractious Fair Isle Friday #2

Standard

I publicly apologise for posting this on a Saturday. I’m sure it’s still Friday somewhere in the world, so I suppose it’s not the biggest faux pas. I was nowhere near a computer for the better part of yesterday but the following photos of my Fair Isle progress were taken yesterday, so I hope that makes up for this slightly belated post.

The suitcase is still going strong. It’s made it so easy to work on the sweater while I’m out, which is a huge plus for me. If I can’t take a project out of the house, it usually dosen’t get finished because my most productive moments are on the bus or train.

The sweater is also going strong, although now as strongly as I would have hoped. I’ve done the waist-shaping for the back, started my second ball of green, and am a few rows shy of starting the major band of colourwork that sits around the upper back and chest. The crummy thing about working 60-plus rows of tiny polka dots is the all the floats. The battle to keep them even, tidy and secure is far from won. I must say though, that the back of my work is impeccably neat. I’m hyper-critical about that sort of thing in my own work, and so to be able to say that is actually quite gratifying.

On the downside, I’ve been questioning whether I really am okay with how loose the ribbing is. I may pick it up and re-knit it on a 2.5mm or something. The thought of having to go back and do that is more than a little defeating. We’ll see what happens.

Over the last few days the sweater has been a little neglected due to the recent discovery of Emily Wessel’s POP Blanket. I swear I’ve lost all focus.
Oh, POP Blanket! How I adore thee. (You know, that sort of thing.)

I mentioned last time that I’d started a circle but didn’t have any white wool for the border. I ended up using the Cascade 220 that I had in storage instead of buying any Morris Norway. It was too buttery in colour – I think a cooler white was needed for this project, or at least for a blanket in this particular colourway of Kureyon…
After fudging the first few attempts at the border and bind-off, I finally came up with a square that was passable! I’m so glad I made those toe up socks because my short row skills really needed to be up to scratch for this one. Like most people on Ravelry, I worked an extra row before casting off to pick up the stray wraps and keep the square tidy.

Here is the first square (attempt #4) being blocked.

(Note to self: Invest in some decent T-pins.)

I wasn’t game enough to photograph and post the first few fails. I’m sure it would have made for good entertainment; I was certainly amused at the completely non-square, hole-ridden messes that my needles produced. What on earth? How is this not working?! Why are there so many goshdarn holes? I’ve done exactly every single thing that the pattern has said! What am I doing wrong? Isn’t this supposed to be a square?
Okay, so maybe ‘amused’ isn’t the right word. Perhaps, ‘curious’, ‘intrigued’, ‘baffled’, or ‘mildly infuriated’.

I later found out that it was perfectly normal for the squares to not actually be squares as soon as they come off the needles. But that didn’t explain why I had so many holes. I think I was wrapping in the wrong direction around the stitch or something silly. Whatever it was, I think I’ve sorted it out.

So as you can see that even though this post is meant to be about my Fair Isle sweater I’ve totally gone on a tangent about my POP Blanket.
Like I said, I’m not at all focused.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s