Crocheted Collar-related experimentation

Standard

I hope you all had/are having (depending on where you are in the world!) a lovely Good Friday. I spent mine experimenting with crocheted detachable collars…

The first one I made using a pattern from Mel P Designs. I used Morris’ Empire 4ply superwash merino (the same as what my Plumage gloves are made from). It’s so very soft and shouldn’t irritate the skin as it has almost no halo to it. It almost looks cottony.

I was really happy with the way it turned out, although I did do some tweaking. The original doesn’t have the scalloped edge. I got the idea for that particular edging from this crochet collar pattern by iro iro. I thought it was an adorable addition and that it was a bit more my cousin’s style as this collar is for her.

I also made one of iro iro’s crochet collars in some Morris’ Estate 8ply. It’s a little scratchier than the merino, but this collar sits lower and so will make less contact with one’s neck. I decided to use a hook and eye closure at the back instead of a snap closure. I’m much more a fan of peter pan collars, but I still love this round collar to bits.

Here’s a close-up of the edging. It’s very sweet and I’m certain I’ll use it on many projects to come.

This collar is to be gifted to a friend first thing tomorrow.

Because neither of these collars are my own design, they’re not something I could sell at 107. However, I was thinking that the chevron cardigan that inspired this whole crocheted collar idea could be augmented and downsized and crocheted in white to make a kind of yoke/collar too. I love the peter pan collar too much to do away with the idea of making them for 107, so I’ll probably do some more fiddling around until I come up with my own pattern.

So with a bit more experimenting, I’m sure I’ll have a few different collars that I can sell. Maybe I could make a few basic collars, similar to Mel P Designs’, and use different edgings on each…? Scallops? Picots? Miniature flowers? Beading? I’ll get back to you on that one.

But for now, I just wanted to leave you with some photos I quickly took of a granny square blanket I recently inherited.

It was made either by my grandmother, or my great-grandmother (we’re not entirely sure) and it’s quite incredible. It’s 16 by 21 squares, plus each square is bordered by two rows of single crochet. I’m guessing it’s done in 4 ply with a 3.5mm hook though the squares on the edge are all done with a smaller hook and have an extra row. Imagine all that work! Imagine weaving in all those ends! No, I can’t imagine it either; it’s just too incredible.

Unfortunately the blanket needs a little repair. Some of the holes are quite superficial – for example, where the slip stitch join at the end of a round has come undone and needs rejoining.

But some of the holes are quite big.

I’m hoping I’ll find the time to give it a once over and fix up any holes. The really big ones will need a bit of planning before I attempt any drastic surgery.

In the next few days I’ll take some photos to show you how immense and glorious the blanket really is. Oh, and I just have the front bands left to do of the chevron cardigan. So excited to finish!